One way to make sure you get plenty of job offers is to start gathering your visa application documents as soon as possible.  By doing this schools know that you are serious about teaching in Korea.  Hagwons usually recruit at the last minutes (1-2 months before the start date) and don't have time to wait for people to apply for their documents after they have accepted a position.  Therefore, it is a good idea to get things moving as soon as you can - and remember to Keep Us Up To Date With Your Progress.  Please bear in mind that your Criminal Record Check (CRB) must be less than six months old by the time you apply for your visa. Keep this in mind if you are applying well in advance of your ideal departure date.

Documents Required for Private Schools

  • A photocopy of your degree certificate (or masters is you have one) with an apostille You need to take your original degree certificate with you to Korea
  • A criminal records check (CRB) with an apostille Must be less than 6 months old by the time you apply for your visa
  • An up to date cv
  • A Photocopy of the photo page of your passport Passport must be valid for a minimum of six months when you apply for your visa
  • Self Evaluation Medical Form
  • Signed contract Compare it to our example contract and ask any questions you have.  Date and sign it. Ask for a copy of your contract signed by both you and your Employer when you arrive in Korea.

Please remember to take your original degree certificate and TEFL Certificate (if you have one) with you when you go to Korea. 

Criminal Check

Visit Disclosure Scotland and apply for a Basic Disclosure. Apply 'As an Individual'. The basic criminal check costs £25. If you have lived at the same address for more than 12 months you can apply on-line. If not, you have to complete an application form. Disclosure Scotland can notarise your CRB for free.  Criminal checks usually arrive within two weeks however there are periods when it can take a lot longer. Please note that criminal checks must be less than 6 months old by the time you apply for your visa.

Visit Disclosure Scotland

Certification & Apostille

You must have an apostille on your criminal check and on a photo copy of your degree certificate. In order to obtain an apostille you first have to have the documents certified by a solicitor or notary public with a current UK practising certificate . Click here for guidelines on how to obtain an Apostille on your documents (Legalisation).

You could either choose your own solicitor or use the one below. The solicitor below can certify the documents, go to the FCO and get the apostilles then mail the documents back to you. They charge £10 to certify each document but add a £50 admin fee for getting the apostilles and sending the documents back to you.


Mr. Gareth Pobjoy
Heald Solicitors LLP,
Artemis House,
4 Bramley Road,
Milton Keynes.
Tel: 01908 662277

Contact Heald Solicitors


If using your own solicitor you will need to mail your documents to the FCO once they have been notarised.  Please check costs carefully. A notary public can charge a lot more than a solicitor.  

Estimated Costs

Documentation Amount
Notarisation 10.00 per document (x2)
Criminal Check £25.00
Apostille £30.00 per document (x2)
Return of Documents £6.00 
Heald Solicitors - Total Costs Includes CRB, Notarisation, Apostilles and £50 Admin fee. £161.00 (excludes VAT)

Check out the FCO website for more information on how to get an Apostille on each of your documents.

For more information on how to obtain an E2 Teaching Visa for Korea contact the Embassy of the Republic of Korea in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.


Some additional documents are required for public school placements. Our Public School Placement Team will guide you on this.

To increase your chances of being offered a position please update the Flying Cows team regularly on your progress with gathering the visa documents.