Find the answers to your questions here!!  If you can't find what you are looking for please feel free to get in touch

Having a TEFL cert could help you attract job offers but it doesn't necessarily mean you will be paid any more than someone without one, at a private academy. For public schools, having a TEFL of 120 hours or more means that you are paid more, regardless of whether your TEFL is classroom based, on line and regardless of accreditation. For public school positions you need at least a 120 hour TEFL certificate.


If you are going to make a career of Teaching English as a Second Language it is a good idea to get the best qualification you can afford. A CELTA takes about a month to complete and can be expensive. A lot of our teachers do a short on line TEFL before they go to Korea then head off to somewhere like Thailand or the Philippines to do their CELTA after they have completed their year in Korea. CELTA courses are a lot cheaper over there and the scenery is quite nice too!


TEFL courses often concentrate on complicated grammar. It is unlikely that you will use complicated grammar in Korea because you will be teaching conversational English to mostly beginner level students.


Flying Cows have, in conjunction with London Teacher Training College (LTTC) come up with two on line TEFL courses. The short one (80 hours) is unaccredited but having it demonstrates that you are genuinely interested in teaching. The 120 hour course is fully accredited and the qualification is recognised around the world.  Both courses are completed online at your own pace. 


No. You need to have your degree certificate in order to apply for your visa.  On your Flying Cows application make sure your 'Available Date' is at least a month AFTER you receive your degree certificate -  to allow time to process your visa.  


If you are applying for your first teaching visa for Korea you must apply from your home country. You can gather your documents remotely but you must be in your home country in order to get the visa in your passport (i.e. just before you go to Korea). If you have had a teaching visa previously you can apply from any country, as long as it has a Korean embassy!


As soon as possible. You can update your profile at any time by emailing Flying Cows. For private schools we suggest you apply at least 3 months in advance however, last minute applications can be dealt with swiftly. For public schools we would suggest contacting us 6-8 months in advance.


At the moment we are finding it very hard to find jobs in Korea for couples but they do exist!  Couples can find positions either at the same school (shared accommodation) or at different schools near each other (separate accommodation). The accommodation comes with each job so it is unlikely that you would work at different schools but live together.  Couples are currently in high demand for our schools in China.  If you would like more information on our China positions please complete an enquiry form.


Unfortunately not. In order to obtain the E2 teaching visa you need to have a degree certificate.


No. To qualify for the E2 teaching visa you must have a passport from one of the following countries; the UK, Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa or the USA.  In addition you must have been educated in one of these countries.


You will be encouraged to interact with the students entirely in English.  This encourages 'Natural Acquisition' of English.  It may seem daunting and often the students will not understand every word you say but with the use of teaching aids and your Korean co-worker you can make them understand your meaning.


With younger students you will often use flashcards and they will learn largely by repeating what you say and by singing songs and playing games. Students will often understand your meaning without actually understanding your vocabulary. You will find that your tone of voice becomes exaggerated and that you talk slowly and clearly. This will be most apparent to anyone you talk to from home on the phone! More advanced students will understand key vocabulary and you will be working to build on that and to enhance their English communication skills.


A good tip is to never underestimate the power of hand gestures and acting. The students’ Korean names will be very difficult to remember at first however, this is not usually a problem as most schools advocate giving students English names. If you have a new class you may even have the privilege of naming them!


You will be paid monthly. The school will help you set up a Korean bank account and your salary will be paid into that account. You will have a cash card for withdrawals.  


Yes. Flying Cows works with native English speakers from all over the world.  


Yes. You can transfer money from your Korean account to any account you like. To do this you need to go into a bank in person and provide them with your ID (passport) and the details of the account you wish to send the money to.


At the moment we don't have any positions in central Seoul, nor do we have many in Busan. The majority of our placements are in the larger towns and cities in Korea or in the satellite cities of Seoul. We prefer to help people find jobs in larger towns and cities where we know there are established native English speaking networks. We actively encourage you to make as many Korean friends as possible and immerse yourself in Korean culture but we also know from personal experience that it is nice to know that you can easily meet up with other foreigners in your area. To maximise your chances of receiving job offers we suggest keeping your location preferences as open as possible.  If you are offered an interview in a town or city you don't know much about you can talk to the current teachers at the school about life there before deciding if it's for you.  You are under no obligation to accept any job offers.