Visa Application

To give yourself the best chance of receiving job offers from schools in Korea keep our Korean team up to date with your progress with gathering the visa application documents. Schools are only likely to offer you an interview if you have gathered or have started gathering your visa application documents.

Documents Required for Private Schools:

1. A photocopy of your degree certificate (or masters is you have one) with an apostille
* You need to take your original degree certificate with you to Korea
2. Criminal records check DBS (previously CRB) with an apostille
* Must be less than 6 months old by the time you apply for your visa
3. An up to date cv
4. A Photocopy of the photo page of your passport
* Passport must be valid for a minimum of six months when you apply for your visa
6. Self Evaluation Medical Form
7. Signed contract
8. Visa Application Form of Visa issuance attached. Complete only Red lines No1~ No4, and No6 Detail of Visa – 6.6, 6.7
***Please remember to take your original degree certificate and TEFL Certificate (if you have one) with you when you go to Korea***

Visa Documents – UK

Criminal Check
Visit Disclosure Scotland and apply for a Basic Disclosure. Apply ‘As an Individual’. The basic criminal check costs £25. If you have lived at the same address for more than 12 months you can apply on-line. If not, you have to download an application form. You will need to either apply online twice or request two application forms. Criminal checks usually arrive within two weeks however there are periods when it can take a lot longer. Please note that criminal checks must be less than 6 months old by the time you apply for your visa.

Certification/Notarisation & Apostille
You must have an apostille on your criminal check and on a photo copy of your degree certificate in order to apply for the teaching visa in Korea.  In order to obtain an apostille you first have to have the documents certified by a solicitor with a current UK practising certificate.  Please note that for teaching in other countries you may need to use the services of a notary public.  

Click here for guidelines on having your documents certified or notarised:

To have your documents notarised and apostilled for teaching in Korea you could either use the solicitor below, who is experienced in notarising documents for Korea, or choose your own. The one below can certify your two documents, go to the FCO and get both apostilles then mail the documents back to you within 48 hours. Their total fee for 2 documents to be certified by a Solicitor, including returning the documents to you by Special Delivery, are £151.20 (including VAT). 

If using your own solicitor you will need to mail your documents to the FCO once they have been certified. The FCO will send the documents back to you. If using your own solicitor please check costs and allow plenty of time for all of the work to be done

For more information and details of how begin the process please contact:

Mrs Abigail Howson Solicitor – Certifications
Heald Solicitors LLP
Artemis House
4 Bramley Road
Milton Keynes MK1 1PT



Visa Documents – Ireland

Ireland’s National Police Service

Police Certificates and Obtaining Personal Data

Police Certificates
A Police Certificate is issued by the Superintendent in the District where the relevant applicant resides, or formerly resided, in the Republic of Ireland.
The certificate is issued free of charge and is issued for the following purposes:-

  • Foreign Consular Authorities
  • Foreign Visas
  • Establishing a Business in other EU States

Applicants for Police Certificates for these purposes should make application in writing to the Superintendent in charge of the district wherein they reside, or formerly resided, in the Republic of Ireland. Please go to our Station Directory to find out who your District Superintendent is.

Obtaining personal data held on Garda Computers
Subject to the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998/2003, every individual has a right to access personal data about him or her held by An Garda Síochána.
An individual seeking access to their information should complete the Data Access Request form (available in the panel on the right hand side, Forms available to download) and return it with relevant enclosures to the Garda Criminal Records Office, Racecourse Road, Thurles, Co Tipperary, E41 RD60.
A Data Protection disclosure is issued directly to the applicant in person for their own personal use.
A Data Protection disclosure cannot be construed as Proof of No Convictions, Police Certificate, Garda Reference or Garda Vetting.

You can contact the Garda Vetting Unit at:
National Vetting Bureau / Garda Criminal Records Office
Racecourse Road
Co. Tipperary
E41 RD60


Tel: Lo-Call 1890 488 488

Department of foreign Affairs and Trade :

Authenticating documents
Foreign governments and organisations sometimes require that documents be authenticated before they can accept them. In the Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade we can authenticate documents that were created in Ireland.
Embassies of Ireland abroad can legalise documents that were created abroad so that they are acceptable for use in Ireland.

Consular Services Move
From Monday, 22 February, Consular Services, including the public office issuing authentications and legalisation of documents, will operate from Knockmaun House.
There will be no break in continuity of consular services over the course of the move.
All enquiries regarding this service can be made by calling 01 408 2174.

E-Register Verification of Apostilles and Authentications
The online electronic register enables you to verify the authenticity of an Apostille or Authentication issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in Ireland.

For more information on how to obtain an E2 Teaching Visa for Korea contact the Embassy of the Republic of Korea in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Visa Documents – Canada

Canadian Teachers Criminal Record check:

  • Must be issued within last 3 months by the RCMP or the Provincial Police Must include VULNERABLE SECTOR SEARCH
  • Must be notarized on the original criminal record check by a public notary
  • Must be confirmed by a Korean Consulate

Note: To be confirmed by a Korean Consulate, you can visit the Consulate with the notarized criminal record check, a passport and a fee of $2.20 CND. If you do not live in the area, please send it by mail (Express Post or Priority Courier) including the notarized criminal record, fee $2.20 CND (money order), a copy of passport, and a return envelope(Express Post or Priority Courier).
These checks can be done at any police station as they are all run through the same database.

For a listing of your Police department in your local area please consult your local phone book of click here for an online directory
Should you be in an area that is serviced by the RCMP you can check their contact details on the RCMP website

***The Royal Canadian Mounted Police is the Canadian national police service and an agency of the Ministry of Public Safety Canada.

*** Your criminal record check will need to be notarized by the Korean Consulate

***You must go to the nearest Korean Consulate for your apostille.

Visa Documents – U.S can apostille the required documents for you or collect and apostille them yourself by following these guidelines:

Police Clearances from the United States
Identification records, including arrest and conviction data, are obtained from fingerprint cards, disposition reports and other reports submitted by various criminal justice agencies to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Criminal Justice Information Services Division.

If you are seeking an identification record on yourself, commonly referred to as a “rap sheet”, you may do so by submitting a written request via the U.S. mails directly to the following:

Federal Bureau of Investigation
Criminal Justice Information Services Division
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg , West Virginia 26306

All requests must be accompanied by satisfactory proof of identity, which shall consist of name, date and place of birth and a set of rolled-inked fingerprint impressions placed upon fingerprint cards or forms commonly utilized for applicant or law enforcement purposes by law enforcement agencies.

Pursuant to Title 31 U.S.C. Section 9701, each request must also be accompanied by a fee of $18.00 in the form of a certified check or money order, payable to the Treasury of the United States . Any request for waiver of the fee shall accompany the original request for the identification record and shall include a claim and proof of indigence.

Alternatively, you may wish to contact the state, county, or city police which has jurisdiction over your place(s) of residence in the U.S. to obtain a police record. Normally such certifications apply only to the state in which the request is made. Procedures and costs vary among the different states and localities. Contact the local police directly for more detailed information.

For further information, visit the FBI website:

Visa Documents – New Zealand

Apply in writing to the Privacy Unit of the ministry of Justice. The application form can be downloaded. This form also details full instruction of what is required to apply.
Alternatively you can request a form by phone 0n +64 (4) 918 8974. It takes 20 working days to process a Criminal Record Check in New Zealand from the point at which the application is received. Once you have the check, it needs to be Apostille

Apostille in New Zealand
Before a document originating from New Zealand can be used overseas, apostille must be affixed to the document at the Authentication Unit at the Department of Internal Affairs in Wellington. If the document is to be used in any country not part of the hague convention, you need an Authentication Certificate.

Documents Require Apostille Certification
1. A birth, marriage or death certificate issued in New Zealand: Send the document straight to the office if it bears the round seal of the Registrar of Births Deaths and Marriages.
Some older documents do not have this seal, and must be notarised (see below) before they are sent to us.
2. A document bearing the seal and signature of an approved government agency such as a District Court, Animal Remedies Board: Send straight to office, unless the document is computer-generated, in which case it will need to be notarised. Computer-generated documents, or documents downloaded from the Internet, are not deemed original documents.
3. Any other type of document: All other documents such as contracts, references, powers of attorney, educational documents etc will need to be notarised by a Notary Public in New Zealand before you send them to our office. The Notary Public will sign the document and affix his/her seal to it.
You can find a list of Notaries Public for your area in the Yellow Pages of your telephone book. The Notary Public will charge a fee.

Contact Details

Authentication Unit,
c/o The Translation Service,
Department of Internal Affairs,
PO Box 805, Wellington.
Phone: (04) 470-2928 Fax: (04) 470-2921

$ 45.00 per Apostille Certificate. $ 17.50 per copy Certificate (Apostille of identical document/same issuing authority) Prices are gst inclusive.
You can pay by:
* Cheque made out to The Department of Internal Affairs; or
* VISA/Mastercard details (card number, expiry date and name of cardholder); or
* money order.
We recommend you to visit for more comprehensive information about apostille:
Ministry of Internal affaires – New Zealand

Return of documents:

Within New Zealand:
A stamped self-addressed envelope (A4 size), or
A self-addressed prepaid courier pack (A4 size) for the return of your documents.
Outside New Zealand: Add $5.00 to your fee to cover airmail postage.
This process should take no more than 5 working days.
Visit: Ministry of Internal affaires – New Zealand

Visa Documents – Australia

Useful Links:

  • The National Police Clearance Certificate, accounting for criminal records in all states and territories except Queensland, is granted by the Australian Federal Police in Canberra.
  • Download the National Police Check application form.
  • Applications should be posted to:
    Australian Federal Police,
    Criminal Records
    Locked Bag No. 1,
    WESTON ACT 2611
  • The fee is $43 and must be paid per cheque (from an Australian bank) or money order. Applications are processed within 15 days.
  • Once you have the National Police Clearance Certificate, it needs to be Apostilled

Useful links and telephone numbers:
Korean Immigration Service, Border Control Division,
Australian Federal Police, Canberra,
Australian Embassy, E2 Visa Information
AFP, National Police Checks
Criminal Records – National Police Check: Tel +61262023333

Getting an Apostille in Australia

Contact info
The Secretary to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
R, G, Casey Building
John McEwen Crescent Barton
ACT 0221 Australia
Tel: +61 (2) 6261 3644 / +61 (2) 6261 1111
Fax: +61 (2) 6261 2820 / +61 (2) 6261 3111
Email:, or cnb_츤

Au$60 for a single-sided page document. Au$80 Australian dollars for a binding (documents for two or more pages)

Visa Documents – South Africa

Address for Criminal Background Check (CRC)
271 Schoeman Street
1st Floor
Sanlam Place
West Building
South Africa
Tel: +27-12 393 3712
Contact person: Me Heloise Van Der Mescht

Department of foreign Affairs
Eikendal Building
C/O Church & Duncan Streets
South Africa
Tel: +27 12 351 1378
Contact person: Mr Nerman Ferreira